Welcome spinal column to our weekly diabetes advice column Take D'Mine, written by longtime character 1 and diabetes generator Wil Dubois.

This calendar week, Wil's exploring intellectual nourishment habits that touch on to those handy, quick-to-hot up TV dinners that let become a staple for many Americans over the decades. Especially when lifespan is so busy, these may seem like a cracking way to go. Wil has some thoughts along that, of course…

{Need help navigating lifespan with diabetes? Netmail United States at AskDMine@diabetesmine.com}

Linda, type 2 from Texas, writes: I am a newly diagnosed diabetic… this knightly January… I know in real time information technology's my bad feeding habits that led me to this point.  I don't cook… maybe an occasional porc chop… spaghetti… eggs… so… have really "lived" on TV dinners… Marie Callender's to follow specific. I lovemaking those. They experience real fresh tasting vegetables. Now with diabetes… I feature to turn back the labels… particularly checking for sodium and carbs. I still cannot adapt to these changes I have to take in… especially on what I run through… I've been struggling.

My oppugn is: why can't I continue to eat TV dinners as long as I lessen how many I eat in per day? I've been trying to diet simply it's not a winning battle. I honorable can't appear to lose. I read all these things about how diabetes affects my organic structure and information technology's chilling. I would also wish to ask, what other foods can I eat to make a point my blood sugar does non go haywire and hopefully recede any weight? Mind you, I'm kind of picky when it comes to certain foods. I give thanks you for your answer… and hopefully you can give me close to sound advice to control condition this better modification in my life.

Wil@Ask D'Mine answers: It was not your bad feeding habits that brought you to this show, so just banish that thought process (and its attendant guilt) from your heed. Type 2 diabetes International Relations and Security Network't that simple. And actually, thanks to our new DVR, I've got a unfermented analogy for T2D: Airplane Crashes.

Bear with me.

So my family and I recently got hooked along a Smithsonian TV show called "Air Disasters," which International Relations and Security Network't As sensationalistic as the name makes it sound. The production values are high, and the stories are thoughtful, interesting, and respectful. Anyway, in all case there's No one thing that causes an plane dash. Instead, thither's something called an "accident chain." Conscionable like a real chain is successful up of individual links, so too, accidents are ready-made up of a serial of events that lead to a disaster.

Back to your diabetes. Your bad feeding? That could be a link. By itself, that won't make the diabetes chain, but it could lead to a intermediate link: Being overweight. Then if you link that weighty tie-in to the rightfield genes, you could stoke the fires of metabolic syndrome. Then, assuming we put on't wind up with a starring role in Air Disasters, we grow older every daytime. Long time is a link in the diabetes chain. And then it goes: Each link makes the whole longer, and i day you wake up in chains to diabetes.

And information technology just occurred to me that treating diabetes is a strand of many golf links, too. Taking your medication is a colligate. Testing your rip sugar to see how you're doing is a link. Increasing your activity is a link. And yeah, eating "moral" is a link to help get to the "lose weight" link. Why lose weight? Because IT makes diabetes easier to control. It too eliminates umpteen of the scary things that can happen to your dead body golf links. Oh, and in case you're meter reading the unjust things, roll in the hay that diabetes can't hurt you. IT's uncontrolled diabetes that damages the body. Keep your sugar where it needs to represent with a mountain chain of as many links A you need to, and nonentity scary happens. Don't be afraid to strike three meds, if that's what information technology takes, until you can make the changes necessary in your life, like losing some weight, to get out with fewer meds.

Share on Pinterest

Instantly, you asked Pine Tree State what other foods you posterior eat. Well, there's no end of healthy options retired there, and you admitted that you like veggies, so that's good. Exploding the vegetables and lowering the high carb sides such as bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, and corn (technically a veggie, but a high sugar ane) would let you feel contented spell reducing the lolly impact of meals. Merely I questionable this is a link that you'll take a rough sledding attaching to your chain, as you don't cook and you're used to the quick-ready-to-eat style of meals. Hey, eating habits are the single hardest matter for people to convert.

So, let's talk more about those Television set dinners.

Who along Earth said you couldn't eat them? The Marie Callender's brand are really better than average, when it comes to TV dinners, with quality ingredients and passably balanced meal options. The only thing I might fault them for is they be given to keep going the highschool-carb side, sometimes with more than one carby side dish, and the portion sizes are a bit large. But you love them and they fit into your lifestyle. You asked if you could just eat on fewer of them each 24-hour interval. Well, in essence you could, but I uncertainty that volition work exterior for you, given your aversion to cooking, and so I have another suggestion: I think you should go happening eating the TV dinners, I think you should kick the bucket right-wing on feeding the same number that you eat now, but I Don River't deprivation you to spick-and-span your denture. Drift… tray.

Jump by leaving one bite of each part of the TV dinner behind. Is that wasting food? No. The only waste is to put something in your body that it doesn't need. This volition take subject area, simply I can tell you're actuated. You can do information technology. After a couple of weeks, I want you to leave two bites behind.

One radio link at a time.

Later on a couple of more weeks, abandon three bites.

The goal is to finish up eating somewhere between 2/3 and one-half of the TV dinner party rather of the whole thing. You answer that, and you'll lose weight. And you'll lose that weight without the focus of changing your stallion lifestyle. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that you'll be hungry all the prison term. No you won't. Because you're not loss to jump in all together. Slowly, over clip—one link at a time—you'll reduce how more than of from each one TV dinner you'll eat. One yoke at one time, your body will align, and you'll be cheerily surprised to find that you'Ra not actually hungry.

One yoke at a clock time, you'll build a new chain. A chain of health.

This is not a medical advice column. We are PWDs freely and openly sharing the wisdom of our collected experiences — our been-thither-done-that knowledge from the trenches. Bottom Line: You still need the guidance and care of a licensed medical line of work.